Monthly Archives: December 2018

3 Bays Marathon entries could reach 300

ORGANISERS of Portland’s 3 Bays Marathon are confident about 300 runners will take part in the popular event on Sunday.
Nanjing Night Net

Event secretary Terry Weissel said 154 competitors had signed up for the half or full marathon by Tuesday, with a rush of entries likely in coming days.

The 42.2-kilometre marathon uses a loop course from Portland to Cape Bridgewater and back, finishing in Bentinck Street.

The 21.1-kilometre half-marathon starts in the Bridgewater Lakes district and follows the second half of the marathon course.

Weissel said organisers received 265 entries for both events in 2013.

But the figure discounted the fact the dozens of teams had multiple runners, bumping the overall total up to about 300.

“We’re pretty even from last year. We could be quite close to similar to last year or even more,” she said.

“We’ve had quite a few inquiries. A few people are coming who haven’t come before and others are coming back.”

Weissel said the full marathon would crown a new champion, with four-time winner Barry Rogers not among the starters.

“Barry isn’t coming back this year. He won four years in a row previously, including last, but we’ll have a brand new winner,” she said.

“We’re not sure who it might be. There are a number of people who could take it out this year. We’re looking for some excitement there.”

Whoever does win, however, will have earned their title, Weissel said.

The course features a host of undulating hills, as well as a major climb about the halfway mark, known as The Shuffler “because everyone shuffles up it”.

Cashmore Straight, a five-kilometre straight section which starts at the 27-kilometre mark, also tests the mental resolve of runners.

Weissel said the 3 Bays Marathon was tied in with the Portland Rotary Club art show on Friday night and Portland Upwelling Festival on Saturday.

The Melbourne to Portland yacht race also finishes in the harbour in the early hours of Sunday morning, adding to the spectacle.

“It makes it a really good weekend for Portland. It brings people to town and they’re able to attend different things,” Weissel said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Read more »

南京桑拿

Warrnambool’s Bernadette Northeast gets something in return for volunteer work

Warrnambool’s Bernadette Northeast, with husband Matt and children Charlie, Edward and Nicholas, has won a state scholarship. 140327DW31WELL-known Warrnambool volunteer Bernadette Northeast won the praise of Victoria’s leader and a scholarship this week.
Nanjing Night Net

Premier and South West Coast MP Denis Napthine said Dr Northeast would join 37 other women on the Victorian Women’s Governance Scholarships program.

“I am thrilled to offer this wonderful opportunity to Bernie on behalf of the government. This will give her the opportunity to further develop skills as a board member on a number of community boards by undertaking a highly-respected professional development course at no cost,” Dr Napthine said.

The scholarships offer corporate governance training.

Dr Northeast serves as secretary of Emma House Domestic Violence Services, is a director, trustee and company secretary of South West Community Foundation and has served as a steering committee member of Leadership Great South Coast.

She is also well known for her role with the Warrnambool SES.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Read more »

南京桑拿

No buyers for ‘desirable’ block

A PARCEL of land at Townview desired by developers for years has been on the market for two months.
Nanjing Night Net

Jays Real Estate principal Sophie Keily described the sale of the 15-block estate in Kingfisher Street as “an interesting situation” because the owner was only selling it in bulk.

But potential buyers seem reluctant to buy the land.

“The land has been hunted after by developers for years and now when it’s finally out there available on the market, those who take it on don’t have the funds and those who have the funds don’t have the confidence,” Ms Keily said.

She acknowledged that it was currently a buyer’s market.

“However, as history in Mount Isa has shown, it can swing around to an extreme housing shortage quite quickly as was the case in 2008 and 2012,” she said.

The principal believed the parcel of land was a great opportunity – perhaps for a long-term local – to create contemporary housing, which was mostly only available in Healy Heights.

“While the real estate market has taken a hit over the past 12 months primarily due to the general downturn in the resource sector, we are now fortunately starting to see newcomers who are relocating to the Isa rather than being based in a fly-in fly-out capacity,” Ms Keily said.

The land already had electricity, sewerage, water and road facilities already installed, which would normally cost a developer “thousands of dollars”.

There was no set price for the property and the owners are open to negotiation.

“I think it could be sold at a good price,” Ms Keily said.

“Land is really rare in Mount Isa.”

IN NEED OF DEVELOPMENT: Jays Real Estate principal Sophie Keily describes the sale of a 15-block estate in Kingfisher Street as “an interesting situation” for Mount Isa.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Read more »

南京桑拿

Droste deal puts van Ginneken back on track

A CHANCE meeting in a hardware store and a Sunday afternoon chat in a Merrivale shed were behind Tim van Ginneken’s return to sprintcar racing.
Nanjing Night Net

Tim van Ginneken and son Chase, 19 months, check out some new racing wheels. 141029AS10 Picture: AARON SAWALL

Van Ginneken has teamed up with renowned car owner Harry Droste for the summer, with the Warrnambool pair eyeing success across the state.

Their campaign, in the V36 Cool, starts with round one of the Sprintcar Racing Association of Victoria season at Moama on Saturday night.

Tasmanian Shaun Dobson drove for Droste last season and repaid the faith shown in him by winning the SRA Victoria series crown.

The partnership ended during the winter, prompting van Ginneken to approach Droste about replacing Dobson behind the wheel.

“I’ve known Harry for a little while and he’s known of me,” van Ginneken said, recalling an unlikely series of events which secured him the drive.

“I ran into him in Ponting’s one day and stirred him up, said ‘there’s no use a good car sitting in the shed’.

“A couple of lads at Ponting’s knew him and they stirred him up as well. After that he went to America for three weeks and came back for a week.

“On the Sunday at four in the afternoon he invited me to come to his shed. He said ‘what are we doing?’ I said ‘anything to make this deal happen’.”

Van Ginneken, a former junior sedans, formula 500 and super rod racer, said the chance to drive for Droste was “a dream come true”.

His sprintcar adventures started in 2011 when he purchased a car driven by Jason Meyers and spent two seasons largely funding his own campaign.

The results were encouraging: SRA Victoria rookie of the year honours in 2011-12, second in the Victorian title in 2012-13.

But motor dramas, a draining budget and becoming a father for the first time prompted him to step away from the sport last season.

Van Ginneken said his return would not have been possible without Droste and the more than 20 sponsors who have backed the team.

“I always wanted to race a sprintcar. I went out and bought one and put it in the shed. All we did was plan for the year,” he said.

“We said when we ran out of finances or weren’t having fun, we were going to stop. We kept going the next year. The motor blew up, work got busy and I didn’t have the money. When this came around, it was a dream come true.”

Van Ginneken acknowledged he was still a rookie in sprintcar circles: “I’ve only done 35 meetings in two years”.

He said the plan was to contest most of the SRA Victoria series rounds, as well as Speedweek, the Victorian title and the Grand Annual Sprintcar Classic.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Read more »

南京桑拿

Plans for an extra 50,000 homes on Parramatta Road

UrbanGrowth reportedly wants to add 51,600 apartments along Parramatta Road. Photo: Tamara Dean
Nanjing Night Net

Homes for about 100,000 extra residents will be built along Parramatta Road in the next few decades, according to an ambitious plan being developed by the state government’s property development arm.

The plans would include thousands of extra apartments around suburbs such as Taverners Hill, Camperdown and Leichhardt in Sydney’s inner west, but the bulk of the dwellings would be on the western end of Parramatta Road, around Homebush, Granville and Auburn.

The developer, UrbanGrowth NSW, has repeatedly delayed releasing its plans for Parramatta Road.

But according to sources briefed on its thinking, the government property agency wants to add 51,600 apartments along Parramatta Road to coincide with the WestConnex underground motorway, to be built underneath the notoriously congested corridor.

The draft strategy for the corridor, according to sources, includes an extra 17,000 apartments around Homebush and Sydney Olympic Park. Separate documents show the government is considering a “new CBD for the Corridor” in this area.

Another 13,000 apartments would be built near Granville; about 5000 near Burwood; and about 5000 at Taverners Hill near Petersham and Leichhardt.

UrbanGrowth NSW would not confirm the figures. The developer responded through a public relations consultant, Wise McBaron Communication, that it would not discuss the specifics of the draft strategy until it was released.

“The draft strategy will be a starting point for discussion with the community and will be made public after the release of the Metropolitan Strategy for Sydney,” consultant Trudy Wise said in an email.

The plans are certain to be controversial, with some residents and politicians already concerned about public transport and traffic congestion in the area and the impact on local amenity.

Separate documents tabled in state Parliament show that buses on Parramatta Road are already full during peak periods, and in the afternoon run on average about 10 minutes late.

“This travel time variability impacts on connections with other transport modes and reduces the attractiveness of bus, and public transport, as a travel mode,” said documents tabled in response to a call for papers on WestConnex.

Those documents also describe Homebush as representing an opportunity for a “new CBD”, Taverners Hill as a place for a new “creative industry hub to emerge”, and Auburn to become a “new mixed-use, live-work precinct”.

But it remains unclear how the government will stimulate its development plans. It also remains unclear how far from Parramatta Road UrbanGrowth NSW wants to promote high-rise and medium-density developments.

Of the 10 councils along the corridor, all but Leichhardt have resolved to or signed memoranda of understanding to work with the state government on its strategy for the corridor.

Burwood mayor John Faker said Planning Minister Pru Goward had been “pretty reasonable” about requests to trade off development near Parramatta Road for lower development in other areas.

“I’m open-minded to work with the minister because … at the last meeting she advised [she] will listen to our concerns,” Cr Faker said.

Asked about the potential for thousands of new apartments around Leichhardt and Taverners Hill, Leichhardt mayor Rochelle Porteous said her council was “the fourth most densely populated area in Australia and 70 per cent of our municipality is heritage conservation zones”.

“It is important that we preserve the character and livability of our local area – those kind of numbers are unsustainable and would have unacceptable impacts on the local residents and businesses,” Cr Porteous said.

UrbanGrowth NSW has invited mayors along the corridor to an urgent meeting on Thursday afternoon.

The Metropolitan Strategy, the government’s blueprint for managing population growth over the next 20 years, is expected to be released soon, after being delayed for about a year.

UrbanGrowth NSW had previously said it would release its plan for Parramatta Road for a three-month consultation period at the end of 2014. Detailed plans for the WestConnex tunnels underneath Parramatta Road have also been delayed and will not be released until next year.

A spokesman for Ms Goward said: “Renewing the Parramatta Road corridor is being made possible because we’re building the country’s largest road project to lift congestion on Parramatta Road.

“We have always said Sydney needs a mix of housing – new homes on greenfield sites and urban consolidation.

“When the vision for the strategy is complete, government will consider the most appropriate planning processes to bring the vision to life. In any scenario, communities and their local councils will play a key role,” the spokesman said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Read more »

南京桑拿